Tuesday, November 20, 2012

 As soon as I remembered that we were going on a nature walk on a last block Friday, I was exalted with joy. I couldn’t wait to venture my way through the forest and discover Fungi fun. Prior to this walk, we learned about various fungi, Oomycota (protistlike fungi), Zygomycota (common molds), Ascomycota (sac fungi), Basidiomycota (club fungi), and Deuteromycota (imperfect fungi). In the park, surprisingly, we found many, many fungi. I claimed that I have never seen any lichens and fungi in the park, but with saying that statement, I became a bad liar. Our group found, mushrooms, jelly mushrooms, and puffballs growing out of, and near decaying matters. We also got to observe symbiotic lichens on the tree with the help of Ms. Iannone. I came up with a hypothesis on how we found so many mushrooms (and to make an excuse for my statement earlier); It was fall season, therefore there were thousands of leaves on the ground that needed to be decomposed with help of the fungi. Before this trip, I had no clue that I could discover many living organisms and fungi only with a careful and detailed observation.
                As much as I loved getting out of the classroom and being free, I loved seeing the mushrooms with my own eyes. That has opened much more interest in this subject for me. From now on, I think I will be paying more attention to my surroundings- so I could find more awesome biology! I look forward to going on a trip like this again. 

A basidiospore found on a decaying tree

A big mushroom, basidiospore found on a dead tree!
I was super excited when I found this

Possibly a sac fungi, ascomycota found on another tree

-
Basidiospore_in_its_natural_habitat.jpg

Jelly fungi! (basidiospore)

Sleeping mushroom!

very wet basidiospore growing on a decaying wood

Yay, Ascomycota! found on the ground,
hiding underneath the leaves

1 comment:

  1. Lyon this is a spectacular, positive post! I'm glad our walk inspired you so!! In your next blog entry try to talk more about how the activities purpose helped us to understand biology (or what we learned in class) better. Also try to incorporate more facts that we learned in class. Perhaps go through your notes/memory and add those names, lifecycle facts, and concepts to what we saw on our trip. that'll get you full marks for sure!

    Prep of blog entry-3
    Quality of Content-3
    Personal Reflection-3
    Conventions-4
    Requirements-4
    25/28

    ReplyDelete